12 Things To Do During Your Stay-cation
If you do not plan to go anywhere during your long holiday with family, there are many things that can be done even if you are at home. The following are some ideas for you:
- Repeat the recitation of the Qur’an. These activities should not only be done during the holidays but should be part of our daily lives. There may be other days when we are not overly focused or are too busy working so we ignore our obligations to the Creator. When this happens then stop and offer your recitation right away and invite your family to revive the spirit of memorizing the word of Allah (SWT).
- Decorate your room or house. Modify your old furniture, for example by replacing the old sofa cover, decorate the walls of your living room or dining room like swapping the positions of wall decorations, arrange artificial flowers/ fresh flowers, replace the tablecloth, or change the wall color with another color or wallpaper. A different touch can beautify the rooms in your home.
- Gardening. If you have a yard in the front of or behind your house try to beautify your garden or plant new plants so that your garden can provide a new atmosphere.
- Craft. The art and craft lovers can take the down time to make something useful out of recycled materials. Making flowers from plastic bottles, creating a file from a former box, or create cardboard frames.
- Dismantling clothing. Usually we are reluctant to do this job in our busy days and it becomes the last thing on our lists to do. Although we perhaps have clothes that are too small, too big, or rarely being used they sit in our closets or drawers when we can donate them to needy people. This way you can reduce the number of redundant clothing and make others happy.
- Mend Clothing. Sew clothes that are torn, that have loose buttons, broken zippers and etc. This is also often delayed until finally we forgot to sew them. We will remember when we want to wear it or when we unpack our closet, but if we spend a little time to repair the damaged clothing now, they can certainly be useful when decide that we need to wear the clothes in the future, inshaa’Allah.
- Trying new recipes. It would be good if we enrich our cooking skills by trying some new recipes for family or friends. The recipes can be found online or you can try recipes from aMuslima.
- Socialize. Invite a friend to come over and enjoy your new dishes as it will foster friendship. My kids usually try cooking new dishes and then they give some to our neighbors and their playmates. It is very useful to build their confidence, moreover, food is not redundant so that the children will be more diligent in experimenting with new recipes.
- Writing. Many people feel that they have no talent for writing, that writing is not one of their hobbies, or who even think that it is a waste of time to write. With writing a diary every day or writing 1 or more articles individuals can record their life’s journey, analyze current news, and create opinions. If you can write a status on FB, twitter, your blackberry, or in other social media then you can write! Why not you try to write in longer sentences than just writing statuses by filling your free time with sharpening your memory and write…write..write!
- Exercise with friends or family. Sometimes we do not have time to do sports together. It can be more fun to do it when we are on vacation. If your home is close to the park or beach you can try cycling, jogging, and brisk walking.
- Read a book. Look again at your home’s library. Are there any books that you’ve purchased but have not touched? Or have only read a few pages? Now it is time for you to leisurely enjoy your reading that was abandoned.
- Trying new skills. Improving your skills does not have to be anything related to your job. It could be something that you have never learned or thought about like learning to crochet, to paint, to design clothes, to sew clothes . . . why not try to learn now? New hobbies can help refresh our spirit and lives for moving forward. When you do not want to shell out the money for a course, you can take advantage of the abundance of information on the internet or youtube which provides a lot of tutorials on various skills.
Enjoy your holiday!