Apple-Walnut-Almond Pie Recipe
Making Apple-Walnut-Almond Pie is actually almost similar to apple pie or a apple crumble recipe, but I tried to replace the flour with wheat flour, I’ve reduced the amount of sugar, and added some walnuts and almonds as an additional flavor in the apple pie. I like this dessert as it does not use eggs at all and the possibility of failure is minimal. Here is how I make it:
- 2/3 cup wheat flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp ice water
- 2 tbsp cold buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk in your kitchen you can make its substitute (i.e. combine ½ tsp vinegar and 1 ½ fresh milk)
- ¼ cup walnuts, broken into small pieces
- ¼ cup almonds, broken into small pieces
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- 2 green apples
- 1 slice of lime, squeezed
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- To make the dough, combine flour, corn flour, sugar, salt, and cold butter. You can use your hand to mix it or a food processor until you see the size of small peas.
- Add ice water and the buttermilk then mix well.
- Gather the dough and form it into a ball shape, then put it inside a plastic bag or wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- When your dough is ready, preheat oven to 400°F, while you prepare the crust and the filling.
- Prepare a heat resistance pie dish, brush it with butter.
- Roll the dough, trim, and shape it so that it can cover the bottom of your baking pan.
- Gently transfer the thin dough to the dish.
- To make the filling, mix walnuts, almonds, sugar, unsalted butter, and flour.
- Peel and cut apples into slices then brush them with lime juice so they do not change color, sprinkle them with cinnamon powder.
- Place the apple slices on top of the pie sheet, and sprinkle the filling dough over the apple slices.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown (about 30 minutes).