Hajj of Rasulullah Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam
After hijrah (migrated), Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam performed Hajj one time. By the time he performed ritual of hajj, he entered Mekkah then he went to the Grand Mosque. The first act performed by Prophet shallallaahuu ‘alaihi wa sallam was ablution, after that thawaf and finally followed by some other ritual of pilgrimage.
It is called Hajj Wada’ as the Prophet did not perform Hajj anymore in subsequent years and it is as if a farewell of Prophet sallallaahu’ alaihi wa sallam to Muslims ummat. The hajj pilgrimage also is called Balagh (convey) since Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam had conveyed all the teachings of Islam to Muslims people. Allah revealed His word (Surah Al Maidah (5): 3,
…..This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favour upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. But whoever is forced by severe hunger with no inclination to sin then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.
This verse was revealed at the time of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam in Arafat. On the day of Arafat Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam delivered sermon about,
- The sanctity of Muslims blood, treasure, and their self-esteem,
- Forbidden to battle in four months i.e. Dhul Qa’dah, Dhul-Hijjah, Muharram, and Rajab
- Treat women with courteous treatment
- Hear and obey leader of Muslims, as long as in accordance with Qur’an
- Treat slaves and servants; provide the food we eat and dress according to what we wear
- Convey associated with the bond of Islamic brotherhood among fellow Muslims
At the end of the Hajj rituals, Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam performed thawaf ifadah (thawaf fard) around the Ka’bah. Then Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam implemented dhuhur in Mekkah and drank Zamzam water.
Source: Manhajuth Thiflil Muslim: Dalilul Mu’allimin wal Aba’llat-Tarbiyati Abna’ fi Riyadhil Athfal wal Madrasatil Ibtidaiyah by Asy-Syaikh Fuhaim Musthafa