Klepon Recipe (Glutinous Rice Balls with Palm Sugar)
Klepon is Indonesian traditional snack that is sweet and delicious. My children like this kind of snack during evening tea time. Here is the Recipe:
200g glutinous rice flour
2 drops pandan paste or essence
75g palm sugar, finely chopped
1 cup freshly grated coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the glutinous rice flour in a mixing bowl and slowly add water and pandan paste, mixing with your hands. Stop adding water when the dough forms a ball that doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Take about 1 teaspoon of dough and make a ball with a hole in the middle. Place about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in the middle and close it. Roll the dough into a ball about 2 to 3cm in diameter with the palms of your hands. Place on an oiled plate. Repeat until all the dough or sugar is finished.
- Heat a large pot of water until it starts to boil.
- Combine the grated coconut and salt on a plate.
- Drop the balls one by one into the boiling water and make sure not to overcrowd the pot. When they float to the surface, let them cook for one more minute.
- Remove the balls with a slotted spoon and roll them in the coconut-salt mixture. Serve hot and cold
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins, makes around 30 balls